NO. 1 Z-WAVE PAIRING TRICK
Sometimes you just can’t pair a sensor or a switch with your Z-Wave controller, no matter what you try. You’ve done your research and installed similar devices without any problems. You’re positive this unit is compatible with your hub and yet it will not pair.
But why would I unpair something that has never been included to my network in the first place?
We have found a solution that will work most of the time if everything else has failed. As strange as it may sound, the trick is to exclude the item from your network.
Well, there are at least 2 reasons:
How to unpair a Z-Wave device that has not been paired with your controller yet?
- Configuration errors sometimes occur during the pairing process. As a result, the device is not successfully paired but neither is it ready for another pairing attempt - it needs to be excluded first.
- You might have received an item that has been previously associated with a different Z-Wave network (maybe it was tested at a factory and is still part of that network). Luckily, you’re able to unpair a Z-Wave unit from any network using your controller.
Simply send the appropriate command to put the controller in “exclusion mode”. Keep in mind that every hub is a little different when it comes to executing this process.
If you’re running your VeraLite
on the latest UI7, try pairing your device and after 2 unsuccessful attempts, the software will ask you if you would like to unpair the device first. Always answer yes to that, it’s your best bet to get the job done fast.
When dealing with older firmware, just press the exclusion button on the hub and proceed as with a regular exclusion/inclusion for a given product.
Same thing for your Nexia Bridge
- you may send the unpairing command straight from your hub.
Things get more complicated with controllers operated fully from an online app. Here are the step-by-step instructions for SmartThings and Wink general device exclusion:
Start with resetting your SmartThings
- Plug your Z-Wave device in or put the batteries in
Open the left menu in your SmartThings app
- Tap the gear icon on the top right
- Scroll down and tap on your hub
- Tap "Z-Wave Utilities"
- Tap "General Device Exclusion"
- Tap "Remove"
- When you see the panel that says "Please follow manufacturer's instructions to remove the Z-Wave device from My SmartThings" continue like with any regular inclusion/exclusion. It usually comes down to pressing an action button, tapping a switch, or taking batteries out and putting them back in - always stick to the manual.
Restart your Wink
- Open the mobile app and click on your Wink Hub
- Click on the button with three blue dots in the upper right-hand corner
- Under "Hub Units", click on "Hub" and then "Z-wave Controls"
- This pulls up the menu to add generic Zwave devices: click on “Exclusion Mode” and continue like you would when typically pairing on unpairing your device.
Sometimes, you will have to repeat the above process a few times before the unit is excluded. Always look for the appropriate indicator that the device is ready to be paired, like a flashing LED light.
Did we miss anything? Probably yes so feel free to correct, ask, share, and argue below.
Leave a comment